A Seder that only a two year old could love
I spent many hours preparing for the Seder at my house last week. I combed through recipe books, washed my Seder plate, got my grandmother's dishes out of storage and washed those too. I enjoy hosting holiday dinners at my house. Love Thanksgiving, the Yom Kippur break fast is an easy one, and I don't even mind Rosh Hashana dinner. Making Passover is wholly different. Are potatoes okay or not (I forget every year), how many different matzoh farfel concoctions are too many? Should I make a brisket and a turkey (yes, to that this year) and finally, could I tackle making my mother's chicken soup and matzoh balls (no, I can't, so luckily she did).
There are so many elements needed for a Passover dinner. You need a Seder plate filled with items not normally found in your kitchen (a shank bone?), many hard boiled eggs, bowls of salt water, horseradish, etc, etc.
Things started to go awry around 2:00 that afternoon when I got a frantic call from my mother-in-law saying that my father-in-law got into a car accident and was in the hospital. He hit a tree (driving at slow speed thank goodness) and was taken by ambulance. With my hands filled with brisket I frantically called my husband to tell him the news and spent the next few hours calling our family members and getting updates from my mother-in-law. Miraculously, my father-in-law came through relatively unscathed, just a few bruises, but they were keeping him in the hospital overnight for observation.
I rearranged my place cards , and sadly removed their two seats. My husband and I decided to host the Seder at our large kitchen table rather than upstairs in the dining room this year. Thanksgiving was hosted upstairs last year and it was a tremendous amount of work schlepping folding chairs, tables, dishes, not to mention all of the food up and down the stairs. My kitchen is warm on the even the coldest winter days, and it was infernal the day of the Seder. Two ovens were on most of the day and there is no air circulation in there. I told my guest to dress for summer, but many didn't heed my advice. My brother-in-law began to get overheated and needed to drink a gallon of water to feel better. I kept opening the back door to get some air, but as soon as I did, my son closed it because he was sitting right next to it and got cold.Continued on the next page