HERvotes Launched To Urge Women To Vote!
Ladies, did you miss your anniversary? No, not your wedding anniversary, though I am referring to an event that was for certain a life changing moment in the lives of generations of women. It was on the 26th of August, 1920 that the Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution became law. This, as I’m sure you realize, granted women the right to vote.
With each election, the number of Americans of voting age, both registered and non-registered, who do not vote is staggering. In recognition of the important anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment, and in an effort to mobilize women voters in the upcoming 2012 election, a number of women’s organizations have joined together. Their key goal is to preserve women’s health and economic rights. Through their efforts HERvotes is born!
Eleanor Smeal, president of the Feminist Majority says “it’s unjust to prioritize Wall Street corporations over Main Street women and families as some leaders are doing now.” Among our present laws which highly impact women’s lives and are in jeopardy at this time are:
• The Social Security Act
• The National Family Planning Program
• The Equal Pay Act
• The Affordable Care Act
A full list of the laws in danger of being weakened or even eliminated entirely at the hands of officials at Federal, State, and Local levels can be viewed here: http://msmagazine.com/HERvotes/ Women, we must join together to be heard and to effect change. We must vote for the right candidates represent us!
Some of the organizations working together for HERvotes include:
- MomsRising Kristin Rowe-Finkbeiner, Executive Director, Kristin@momsrising.org
- National Congress of Black Women Dr. E. Faye Williams, Chair, email@example.com
- National Council of Negro Women Avis Jones De-Weever, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
- National Council of Women's Organization Susan Scanlan, Chair, email@example.com
- National Council of Jewish Women Nancy K. Kaufman, CEO, firstname.lastname@example.org
- National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health Jessica Gonzalez-Rojas, Incoming Executive Director
- National Organization for Women Terry O'Neill, President, email@example.com
More information on HERvotes can be found at http://www.momsrising.org/blog/hervotes-blog-carnival/ including a complete list of participating organizations. In 1878 Susan B Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton drafted the 19th Amendment but it was not until 42 years, and much effort, later that it finally became law. Please don’t let their efforts be in vain!