Frugal Tip: 10 Ways To Save Money During The Holidays
Holiday shopping can wreak havoc on your wallet and leave you feeling less than jolly. Here are 10 tips to help you save money this holiday season while also saving your sanity.
- Do not wait until the last minute to plan your holiday shopping and avoid shopping at the last minute.
- Create a budget and stick to it.
- Never go shopping without a list. Avoid impulse buys by firmly sticking to your list.
- Pay in cash. By leaving your credit/debit cards at home and using only the cash you set aside, you will be forced to stick to your budget. You will also avoid credit card fees.
- Get creative with your cards, decorations and gift wrapping. For instance, you can use copy paper, comic book pages, magazine pages, paper bags, maps, etc for gift wrap.
- Shop for gifts earlier in the year or shop after holiday sales.
- Shop online. Some of the best deals can be found online. Take advantage of promo codes and free shipping offers when available.
- Book your flight 21 to 30 days in advance and use sites such as Kayak.com to compare rates. Also take advantage of connecting flights rather than a nonstop flight.
- Save on airfare by flying during a weekday. Wednesday is generally the best day to fly. Be flexible with your times as you can often get a better deal by flying in the later or earlier hours.
- Take advantage of student, senior and military discounts when flying.