How iPhone 4S Recaptures Market Share
How many people do you know that either bought an Apple iPhone 4S or can’t wait until they get one? Despite the growing rumors of iPhone 5 being around the corner, the demand for Apple’s latest creation continues strong throughout the peak selling season of the year. How Apple is continuing the momentum is part art and part science. There are three key ways in which the iPhone 4S is recapturing smartphone market share worldwide:
1) The Siri Buzz: As my teenage son tells me, it’s amazing that any learning occurs at high school because so many students use their spare time to joke around with Siri. People want more of anything that makes them laugh or smile. Here are a few examples of Siri's sense of humor :
- Q: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? Siri: 42 cords of wood to be exact. Everybody knows that.
- Q: Tell me a story. Siri: Once upon a time in a virtual galaxy far, far away, there was a young, quite intelligent agent by the name of Siri….
- Q: Tell me a joke. Siri: Two iPhones walk into a bar. I forget the rest….
So the more that teenage students have fun with Siri, the more that non-iPhone students want their next best friend to be Siri and they “gotta have” an iPhone 4S. This is the WOM (Word-Of-Mouth) marketer’s dream come true. To teens, Siri is not an intelligent personal assistant; it’s the friend they wish they always had.
2) Scarcity Marketing: Consumers want good products that are hard to get. Apple is a master of supply and demand from a marketing perspective. Some consumers anxiously waiting to purchase the iPhone 4S may beg to differ because they still don’t have it. Yet six days after Apple made their iPhone 4S announcement, consumers placed a record one million pre-orders in the first 24 hours. The first weekend of sales topped 4 million. Over 75% of Apple stores sold out of iPhone 4S on Black Friday. After I conducted a sampling of stores across the country this week, the vast majority of stores show “Unavailable” for any version of the iPhone 4S: AT&T, Verizon, Sprint or unlocked. Apple is a master of scarcity marketing.Continued on the next page