Download the Windows 8 Developer Preview Now!
Microsoft first announced that the Windows 8 Developer Preview will be available for download earlier this month. After 20 or so days, the download is now live and available to all users who want to get a sneak-peek on Windows 8 and the Metro UI.
There are 2 versions available for download; the 64-bit and 32-bit versions, both only available in English. Also available for download is the Live SDK, providing a set of controls and APIs that enable applications to integrate Single Sign On (SSO) with Windows Live ID and to access information from SkyDrive, Hotmail and Windows Live Messenger.
Since this is still the pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers, a lot can still change on the final release of Windows 8, available later this year. It's also interesting to find out how the Windows 8 Developer Preview will behave on computers or devices without touch screen displays.
If you're planning to download and install the Windows 8 Developer Preview, here are the system requirements:
- 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
- Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch
- To run Metro style Apps, you need a screen resolution of 1024 X 768 or greater
For more information and to download the Windows 8 Developer Preview, you can visit the Microsoft Developer Center here.