90 Percent of Social Media Marketing is a Sham, 10 Percent is Genius - Page 3
Here is a list of things that don’t necessarily count as marketing qualifications for a social media guru:
- Huge number of Twitter followers
- Mostly quote or are quoted by other gurus in a SM love fest
- Speaks at conferences (see above)
- Has a blog with posts that resemble “Deep Thoughts” from old SNL episodes
- Has written a book
- Refers to themselves (in seriousness) as a Social Media Rock Star
- Selling a program to show you how to be a guru too
What about the other 10%?
On the positive side, if 90 percent of social media marketing is ineffective, what about the other 10 percent that works? Although the glass my be 90 percent empty, remember, it's also 10 percent full. (I always try to look on the positive side.)
Social media marketing that’s proving useful is working precisely because—well—it’s proving to be useful. By backing off on the marketing pitch and providing targeted and useful information or discounts it becomes time-worthy. Leverage the human search cluster to follow and, we hope, be followed by interesting people and organizations. Targeted and useful—yup, Marketing 101!
Here’s a simple formula:
Time-worthy content > share-worthy content + interested community = social media ready.
Post some of your experience and let me know what you think.
Enjoy social networking and remember, check your privacy settings.