Hamlin Wins Phoenix
AVONDALE, Ariz — Denny Hamlin held a narrow lead over a hard-charging Kevin Harvick in the closing laps of Sunday's Subway Fresh Fit 500 at Phoenix International Raceway. With two laps left Harvick's machine sucked fuel vapors and fell off the pace handing the victory to Hamlin. Harvick settled for 2nd.
It was a bit of redemption for the Virginia native Hamlin who saw his championship hopes dashed at the track in 2010. The victory is Hamlin's first with new crew chief Darian Grubb.
• Denny Hamlin earned his 18th career victory in his 225th start.
• This is Denny Hamlin's first career victory at Phoenix in his 14th start. He finished third four times before winning.
• Denny Hamlin is the 23rd different driver to win at Phoenix in 32 races at the track.
• Joe Gibbs Racing earned its 94th Cup victory and second win at Phoenix. All three JGR cars finished in the top 10.
• Toyota earned its second win at Phoenix — both coming on the track's new configuration.
• Kevin Harvick (second) scored his second top-10 finish in 2012. He finished seventh at Daytona.
• Greg Biffle (third) earned his second third-place finish in two races in 2012.
• Jimmie Johnson (fourth) has finished in the top five in 11 of the past 12 races at Phoenix. He has never finished worse than 15th in his 18 races.
• Brad Keselowski (fifth) earned his best finish and first top-10 in six races at Phoenix.
• Kyle Busch (sixth) scored his first top-10 finish in his past six Cup starts.
• Martin Truex Jr. (seventh) has finished 12th or better in six of his past seven Cup starts.
• There were a record 15 different leaders in this race, breaking the old track record of 13.
• This is the 198th victory for the No. 11, tying the No. 43 for the most in NASCAR history.
Next week NASCAR moves the show to Vegas for the Kobalt Tools 400