The Choice Is Yours Mr. President
Watching Obama’s hurriedly called town home meeting on Friday morning, I was seething with rage—how insincere is this man? While campaigning he had proclaimed, “John McCain will change Social Security, I will not.” In the town hall he talked of the necessity to compromise. Compromise on what? Social Security? Medicare?
Referring to the debt negotiation with Republicans, the president projected himself as the only adult in the room full of kids screaming for their candies—and as wise as he is—ever willing to give up his last candy to the truant kid, he was all ready to surrender his campaign promise, and slash and burn the democratic holy grails, Social Security and Medicare.
This afternoon John Boehner walked out on him. Obama was giving him the moon and the sun, but Boehner wanted the shirt on his back too, and it was Boehner who walked out on him. Thanks God, thanks John Boehner for saving us from the betrayal of Barak Husain Obama.
Americas Senator Bernie sanders was so upset on Wednesday that he congratulated Sens. Tom Coburn, Mike Crapo and Saxby Chambliss on their great victory in negotiating a deficit-reduction plan that achieved their dream of dismantling every major social program relevant to middle class and poor families. The Gang of Six that included three Democrats had agreed to massive cuts in Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. Sanders said, “While I am sure that they did not get everything that they wanted, I think it's fair to say they won about 80 percent to 90 percent of what they fought for.”
The Republicans got 80 to 90% of what they wanted, yet they were not ready to compromise on the rest 10%, while Obama was!
Continued on the next page
Under the Social Security proposal by the gang of six, that included Senator Dick Durban of Illinois, a new formula was proposed for calculating cost-of-living adjustments that would have cut 75-year-old seniors' yearly benefits by $560 in ten years. The average 85-year-old would have lost $1,000 a year cut in 20 years. Sanders said, “While the spending cuts for programs that working people desperately depend upon are enforced by specific spending caps, there is no such enforcement or clarity regarding the $1.1 trillion to be raised in revenue over 10 years.”