If you visit the North Carolina State Fair in October, you’ll be offered a new delectable on the official menu: the Krispy Kream Hamburger, consisting of a 1/2-pound beef patty with cheese and bacon between two glazed donuts.
This culinary monster has been making the rounds recently at ballparks and State Fairs. Vendors at the South Carolina extravaganza report that while sharing is common, some people eat two or three a day on their own. Calorie count: 1000.
Amidst a national obsession with obesity, let’s remember it’s long-term bad habits that create bulging bellies and thunder thighs. Practice moderation and you can still enjoy that occasional binge. But instead of just dipping your toes in Lake Indulgence, you might as well plunge in mouth first.
Here are some of the “Best of the Worst.” Surprisingly, the most caloric single-item plates don’t come from the usual suspects--the best-known fast food franchises.
For those who live in the San Francisco Bay Area, there’s Ike’s Place, which is facing eviction in The City because neighbors hate the long lines and munching crowds. The tiny take-out restaurant has a shamelessly caloric menu, the king of which is the Kryptonite Sandwich Meal containing 5 different meats, 2 whole avocadoes and secret sauce, with deep fried mozzarella sticks and jalapeño peppers on the side. 4800 calories. This should hold the average person for at least two days.
It’s hard to match that. But here’s a selection of over-the-top, “grab life by the fat cajones” one-item pleasures, all readily available at an establishment near you, and all weighing in over 2000 calories, the number nutritionists recommend daily for a healthy weight. The Magnificent Seven:
- Outback Steakhouse: Aussie Cheese Fries with Ranch Dressing. 2900 calories.
- On the Border: Stacked Border Nachos with Melted Cheese. 2740 calories.
- Chili’s: Awesome Onion Blossom, battered and deep fried, served with a special dipping sauce. May not be available at all locations. 2710 calories.
- Macaroni Grill: Spaghetti and Meatballs with Meat Sauce. 2430 calories.
- Uno Chicago Grill: Chicago Classic Deep Dish Pizza, personal size. 2310 calories.
- On the Border: Double XX Fish Tacos with three fresh flour tortillas stuffed with Dos XX beer-battered fish, creamy red chili sauce, shredded cabbage, cheese and pico de gallo. 2100 calories.
- Chili’s: Honey Chipolte Chicken Crispers with Chipolte Sauce. 2040 calories.