24/7 Wall St. Morning Market Roundup
Every morning, 24/7 Wall St. editors cover the news, identifying important events and market-moving stories.
The following are the highlights for our Media Digest 07/28/2010 Reuters, WSJ, New York Times, Financial Times and Bloomberg:
- Reuters: BP plc’s (NYSE: BP) new CEO called the spill a “wake up call” for the oil industry.
- Reuters: The IMF backed down on its comments about the yuan’s value.
- Reuters: Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG) is in talks to build a Facebook competitor.
- Reuters: Hackers received information about how to listen in on cellphone calls.
- Reuters: Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL) unveiled a new line of Mac desktops.
- Reuters: Walt Disney (NYSE: DIS) will buy social game company Playdom.
- Reuters: Goldman Sachs Group (NYSE: GS) and Credit Suisse (NYSE: CS) bought into a Moscow bank.
- The New York Times: Oil on the surface of the Gulf is dissipating faster than projected.
- The New York Times: Utilities have developed batteries to store off-again, on-again power from wind turbines.
- Bloomberg: Germany’s short work policy which cut employee hours helped soften the blow of unemployment.
These are this Wednesday's top analyst upgrades, downgrades, and initiations seen in Wall Street research calls:
- AGCO Corp. (NASDAQ: AGCO) Raised to Buy at Stifel Nicolaus.
- BP plc (NYSE: BP) Raised Target (in U.K.) by Goldman Sachs; Raised to Outperform at Macquarie.
- Capital One Financial Corp. (NYSE: COF) Started as Perform at Oppenheimer.
- Carrizo Oil & Gas Inc. (NASDAQ: CRZO) Raised to Outperform at BMO.
- Ceradyne Inc. (NASDAQ: CRDN) Raised to Buy at Needham.
- First Solar Inc. (NASDAQ: FSLR) Maintained Buy but Raised Target to $173 at Auriga.
- Global Payments Inc. (NYSE: GPN) Cut to Neutral at Janney Montgomery; Cut to Market Perform at Barrington Research.
- Motricity, Inc. (NASDAQ: MOTR) Started as Buy at Needham.
- NASDAQ OMX Group (NASDAQ: NDAQ) Raised to Buy at Stifel Nicolaus.
- Oasis Petroleum Inc. (NYSE: OAS) Started as Buy at Canaccord; Started as Buy at UBS.
- RadiSys Corporation (NASDAQ: RSYS) Cut to Hold at Jefferies.
- WebSense, Inc. (NASDAQ: WBSN) Cut to Underweight at JPMorgan.
Finally, here is the Twitter-24/7 Wall St. Stock Market Report 07/28/2010:
Among the most tweeted stocks on StockTwits are Baidu Inc (NASDAQ: BIDU), Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX), VocalTech Communications (NASDAQ: CALL), IMAX (NASDAQ: IMAX), Veeco Instruments (NASDAQ: VECO), Ford Motor (NYSE: F), A123 Systems (NASDAQ: AONE), and Deckers Outdoors (NASDAQ: DECK).