Got Ad Skills? Truth in Advertising's $5K Ad Contest Beckons
Hoping to generate interest in an upcoming book, Touchstone Books has put together what they hope will be a viral advertising campaign. But viral in a way not typically seen.
Touchstone, an imprint of publishing giant Simon & Schuster, wants to generate interest in Truth in Advertising, the debut work of author John Kenney. Rather than creating a smart, funny, imminently shareable video or almost-not-safe-for-work visually appealing ad, the publishing house is turning another page. Touchstone wants you to come up with something, and they'll share it far and wide.
Oh yeah — and put a fair chunk of change in your pocket in the process.
Touchstone, an imprint of publishing giant Simon & Schuster, has created a novel contest with a sweet prize, and is inviting anyone to come up with an ad for Truth in Advertising. According to Touchstone's contest rules page, "entries will be judged by a panel of advertising industry experts, and the winning design will win a cash prize of $5,000".
Kenney is a former ad man, and in Truth in Advertising, he takes a "wickedly funny, honest, at times sardonic, and ultimately moving" look at being part of the corporate machine.
Want to get your hands dirty and win some cold, hard cash? Here are the contest guidelines, in a nutshell:
- The Submission must be in jpeg, mov, or gif format
- The Submission must be in English
- Submission must be an original advertisement for the novel Truth in Advertising by John Kenney and must include the title of the book and author name
- You may submit up to three (3) entries. Submissions must be different and not substantially similar.
- Participation open only to legal residents of the fifty United States or the District of Columbia who are 18 years or older as of date of entry.
Touchstone has set up a Tumblr page with current submissions, so you can see if your graphic design and/or movie-making skills are up to par. Go ahead, peek. Then get started on earning a sweet vacation this Summer.